This dress is from a new PDF pattern from Violette Field Threads - the Emmaline Maxi Dress.
Things I loved about this pattern: for a PDF there were lots of instructions, but not too many pattern pieces to print. One thing I dislike about PDF patterns is having to stick together 24 pieces of paper before starting. This pattern, there are only 2 pattern pieces that need sticking together. Yay!
Most of the instructions are easy to follow.
The finished dress is LOVELY.
Things I didn't love about this pattern: it might just be me, but I found a few little errors in the pattern. Neither were a big deal, but I find it irritating when I have to read something 20 times, and it still doesn't 'work out' in my mind. One was the straps. It appears to me that the pattern asks for 2 strap pieces to be cut, but requires 4 straps pieces in the sewing instructions.
Another was that the casing for the elastic across the back (2 casings) were going to be different widths, which didn't make sense to me when the elastic to be used was to be the same in both casings.
Obviously, since we are in Autumn, Layla might not get much wear out of this until next summer, but that is OK. She is quite tall for her age, so I made a size 4. However, I am not too worried if this maxi is a little short on her..... as gorgeous as it looks, I am not too sure about the practicality of a Maxi dress on a 3 year old.
The fabric was a Spotlight special (forgotten the price now) of a Lisette poplin (Spring 2011). It may be a little thin for this dress, but the drape it provides is gorgeous.
One more tip - prior to attaching the ruffle hem (triple ruffle no less), I tried the dress on Layla. It looked gorgeous even without the ruffle. I would consider making this dress in a below the knee style dress (without ruffle) in future too.